Welcome to this 45 minute yogasana class comprising dhyana (meditation); pranayama (breathing); svadhyaya (self-study); asana (postures); Mantra (Guru Mantra and Gayatri Mantra).
The theme is on Karuna (Compassion); with the message from BKS Iyengar’s Light on Yoga underpinning the importance of Kriya (Action).
The heart of the message advocates action.
Karuna, Iyengar writes, is “compassion coupled with devoted action”. Thank you for your patience and your time; and remember: Yoga is NOT about exercising!
I hope this video with a BIG message encourages you to embrace a life of Ahimsa (non-harming); fuelled by compassion (karuna) loving kindness (maitri).
Health and Safety’s:
– Please do not practice if your are pregnant in your first 12 weeks; and your first eight weeks after giving birth, and make sure to have clearance from your doctor before practicing, please.
– Practice Ahimsa, non-harming, the first of the Yamas (universal moralities); non-harming to yourself, to others, to the world and to animals. So don’t do anything which will cause you or anyone else harm.
– Listen to your body, how it feels today; and if you feel any new, sharp or shooting pain, come out of what you are doing and take balasana (child’s pose) or savasana (corpse) – these are still active asanas, you are still breathing!
– Use blocks under your hands in Adho Mukha Savasana to help create length and space. If you heels don’t reach the mat it doesn’t matter, just bend your knees and keep heels lifted. Daily practice will see you progress. And if you never reach the floor, well, so be it! We are all on our own journey; Yoga is NOT holistic gymnastics!
– Use a folded cloth/eye pillow/folded belt between your knees in cross legged asanas for extra padding.
– Place blocks/pillow/bolster under your sitting bones to elevate your hips higher than your knees for your dhyana (meditation).
Set an Intention and remember to listen to my voice and try your best not to look at the screen! Have fun!
Credit and Inspiration: BKS Iyengar’s Light on Yoga; The Manual Of The Warrior of Light by Paulo Coelho; Stewart Gilchrist @ ELSY